Sunday, August 02, 2009

Life Changes

For the last few months I have had some significant changes in my life. At the start of 2009 I started my new job at a new school and within a few days of starting my 17 year old son had a severe head injury which resulted in a brain operation, a stay in Intensive Care at Monash Hospital (a great place to end up if you are in the position of needing Intensive Care) and some time in the ordinary ward, as well as starting Year 12 a month after school started. It was stressful for the whole family, as he couldn’t be left on his own for the first two weeks at home. After a term and a half of struggling with my job in this situation I decided to resign from my new job (I started teaching in 1978) and put my time where it was really needed. Kieran had started to go to school half time and needed lots of support at home to make this happen. I have now been at home for two and half months and half very much enjoyed concentrating on one thing rather than juggling the many things that come with being a teacher. I’ve been gardening, making compost, cooking meals from scratch and looking for specials in the supermarket. I felt so lucky that my husband was in work and could support us on his income.

But now there is another change. Before I had even thought of what I would do in the future if I wasn’t a teacher in the classroom, I heard about a job opportunity where I could engage deeply with ICT in education part time. So I went for the job and will be starting in two weeks time. I will be working as a Project Officer in the office of the Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association “a non-profit organisation supporting information and communication technology teachers at primary schools, secondary colleges and universities and other tertiary education institutions in Victoria, Australia.” This past week has been ICT week and VITTA is working closely with both the Victorian Government and the Australian Computer Society in promoting excellence in ICT education and ICT career pathways. I was fortunate to go to the Bus Tour and the ICT & Careers Expo. But that is a topic for my next blog post

13 comments:

  1. Great to have you back in the blogosphere Jo.

    My first thought when I started reading your post was what a great loss to your school community, but as I read on that changed to what a great opportunity for ICT teachers in Victoria. I'm sure you will be an inspiration to teachers at all levels, whilst being part-time will take some of the pressure off.

    I wish you all the best in your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo-
    Thanks for sharing the wonderful news. Good luck.
    -Skip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, you've had such a year! I wasn't aware of you resigning from work, or the excellent new job. Well done! And throughout this whole ordeal, as an online presence (and off, but I wouldn't know), you remain constantly helpful and cheerful. All the best in your new position; you'll be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In late 2007 I took a term's leave without pay to care for my mother who was unwell. Although hard to do without the money it was great for us both. I had a chance to get my own health on a more even keel and pay back some of the loving and nurturing my mother had done for me over the years.

    The time I missed at school has been forgotten by them but it meant a lot to me and my family. I had been teaching full time since leaving school myself without a break. We sometimes need to do what must be done.

    We need to spend time looking after ourselves as well as looking after others.

    Best wishes for the new position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that you have faced some tough times but I'm so excited for you about your new job. I know they will be so lucky to have you! I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo,

    You did what you had to - and I'm sure it gave you great joy to be able to assist your son in his time of need.

    Now you have the opportunity to return to your profession in an equally important position of helping and sharing.

    I'm glad that you're able to take advantage of such an exciting challenge. Good luck, and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Jo! this sounds like a very exciting opportunity - and something that will really suit you.Best wishes, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo, I am so excited for you! The new job sounds perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for your supportive comments. They are much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new role sounds perfect Jo. It certainly has been a tough year and I fully get the juggling that you must have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought my life was a little out of sorts with a new marriage and my daughter heading off to college. But you have me beat. I hope all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it's good for you... Life is a constant change. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If your job is too complicated you don't really have so much time in blogging

    ReplyDelete