Sunday, March 29, 2009

Literacy for all


I was lucky enough to go to a workshop on "Comprehension for All" yesterday led by Diane Snowball and Faye Bolton put on by Australian Literacy Educators' Association (Victoria). The strategies that Diane and Faye showed us and that they recommend teachers to teach to the students are:

1. Predicting/prior knowledge use

2. Answering and forming questions

3. Thinking aloud about reading

4. Using text structures and features

5. Visualizing and creating visual representations

6. Summarising

We went through the methods of teaching these strategies and heard about the importance of using the language with students. I thought it was a worthwhile workshop to attend and allowed me the time to stop and reflect on what I am doing in the classroom when students plaintively say, "But I don't GET it, Miss."

There is a set of CDs available with film clips of classrooms where the teaching is being done in this way and I thought it would be helpful to view these so I ordered a copy of the Years 6 to 9 CD.

I would like to finish with a quote from Diane: "Research has shown that comprehension instruction can improve the reading comprehension of all readers, even beginning readers and struggling older readers. It will help your students to understand, remember and communicate with others about what they read. Most importantly, it will help your students want to read more!" And that's what I would like for my students.



Image attribution: 'CompCommDay2'
www.flickr.com/photos/59479445@N00/2627204991

5 comments:

  1. Good Day!
    Thanks for this post.
    I bookmarked this page, I will tell my friend about this.
    More power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks so much for this post. Thank you for posting the different strategies and how they help children with reading comprehension. I am an education major at college and we are learning the same things in my class so it was great to hear someone else say the same things. Again, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good idea to deal the students. We are very much impressed with this work. We will also try to follow that. Thanks for helping us for dealing with the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a great idea to have the different strategies to teach students. It is a good idea and will help me when I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great idea to use those strategies with the students. It seems like it will be helpful for when I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete