Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Keen student bloggers

I have just started the year 8s blogging and they are in the very early stages, still making mistakes, giving away too much personal information, using copyright images without permission and writing their posts without making sure their potentially global audience will understand their idiosyncratic spelling and slang references. Soon this will improve and then I will link to the blog and hopefully facilitate some global connections. But one student has really got it. I got a comment today on the class blog:
"To Mrs Mcleay,
Did you hear about the 2009 Student Blogging Challenge on this website. It looked interesting and I was wondering what it was? It looked like we could maybe try and look into it for a challenge."

I was so happy that one of my students had found this site and made a comment encouraging our class to get involved. It is a great idea and I am looking forward to getting us started. This is some information about the challenge: "The challenge begins in March 2009 and continues to May 2009. Weekly challenges are posted here on this class blog. Students can complete as many as they wish to try. Please fill in the google form below if you wish to register either your own class blog or if students wish to register their own individual blog."

5 comments:

  1. I think it's fantastic that you're teaching your kids proper blogging etiquette and the impact of what they say given that anyone can view it. Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, it's great to read about what you're doing with your students. There so much for them to learn, and they're all transferable skills. I'm hoping to do some of the same soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - Ms Fifikins just blogged about your blog ... and its like a godsend to me!
    I've just returned to study (Dip Ed) after a long absence ... and ICTs in the classroom are a new thing for me!
    Getting some great insight from your blog - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is really great that you are starting to introduce blogging to the kids. It is good to get them started with blogging and communicating on the internet. It is a great way to integrate technology with other subjects as well. I’m sure that blogging helps them think about what they want to say about a certain subject. They will be grateful for it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats brilliant! Its great that you are getting your students online the safer way. yr8's a good age to start.
    I bet it also makes your lessons just that bit more exiting.

    ReplyDelete