Saturday, July 26, 2008

Second Melbourne Bloggers Feast

Helen has written about the recent Melbourne bloggers feast. We have Sue Tapp to thank for the concept of bloggers feast. The first one was held when Al Upton was coming to Melbourne as a way to meet him and each other f2f. It was just before the now celebrated ACCE tour to NECC and many of those who attended were also meeting there. Since then the bloggers feast concept come to the fore whenever someone from the edublogosphere or the twitterverse comes to town. And this week it was the chance to meet Andrew Churches. It was great (even though we didn’t ustream it. Sorry Lauren).

What I liked about it was hearing about how Andrew’s school sent many of their senior and middle staff in the holidays to really investigate the extension of their one to one program by visiting other schools and then making time during the trip to discuss their findings and ideas. It was great to hear about Andrew’s school and what they do, especially in light of the course I am doing at Monash on Flexible Learning and the Design of Curriculum in such a situation. I like the way flexible learning isn’t just about distance education but about giving learners choices about how they want to learn which is enabled by the use of various technology tools. It is about being more inclusive. Here is an interesting presentation on this topic by Martin Weller from the UK facilitated by George Siemens. To do this course I am engaging in online discussion with my classmates about much the same things we discuss on our blogs and on Twitter and Plurk. So I am in heaven with this course. One of the great things about meeting Andrew was that I finally paid attention to the revision of Blooms Taxonomy that he had done to include the digital aspect of education. It is really worth a close read. Both Helen and I are putting it before the teachers we meet. Lots of ideas thrown around on the night and let’s hope we have more bloggers feasts in the future

6 comments:

  1. Jo, what a great session you must have had with Andrew! I love the work Andrew is doing with his digital Blooms. Would also love to hear more about your course at Monash.
    My stay in Melbourne recently was far too short this year...and very family-oriented. It was great seeing you at NECC this year. Hope to catch up with you next year or sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I couldn't make it - so annoying when husbands go away for work and leave you stranded to look after kids! Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.
    Jenny Luca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo-
    It sounds like a wonderfully marvelous 'feast'. Thank you for being generous in creating links. They are really important for amplifying your expressed intent and sustaining my learning.
    Thank you.
    -Skip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I wish I lived closer (even if you are in winter! :))Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for providing insight and helping me learn about the wealth of resources available in the "eduverse"! I really appreciate the links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoy the bloggers feast!

    ReplyDelete