Friday, July 04, 2008

Goodbye to San Antonio


NECC 2008 has been and gone. And it was great. I still can't get over the number of hugs I gave and received, and the emails exchanged and contacts made. The theme was "Convene, Connect and Transform" and I think a lot of that happened. I was surprised at how at home I felt, and reflected on the reality of the virtual relationships forged and sustained through on-line communities. I sometime hear of people who do not want to get involved in on-line groups because they prefer "real" face to face interactions, but I believe we can make community wherever we are, and it's definitely better to have these relationships on-line and affirmed by occasional meetings than not to have them at all. I have been travelling for sometime and am still a way from home. I can't wait to get home, hug the family and unpack so I can get to reflect on all that happened. There are a number of ways I will be aiming to transform my classroom next term (one is through a contact with Lisa Parisi) and write up some of my learnings. The Australian Study Tour part of this trip was fantastic with a great group and a fabulous tour leader in Tony Brandenburg. If you get a chance to go on such a tour in the future, I highly recommend it. The photo is of me being interviewed by Cheryl Oakes who is wecasting live for the Women of Web 2.0 episode, part of Edtech Talk, the best best on-line community I have had the privilege of being involved in. In the yellow dress is Kristen Hokanson of the Connected Classroom who was also interviewed on the showed along with many others. The photo is by Lucy Grey and is shared via a Creative Commons licence on Flickr.


Technorati tag:

11 comments:

  1. I was on the receiving end of one of those hugs and can attest to the genuine feeling of connecting with kindred spirits.

    The conversation will continue, and we'll all be the better for it.

    Safe journey, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad we got to connect. And, I too, am looking forward to continued collaboration. Actually, I have been ruminating on our wiki idea today. Guess even though I am home, I still want the collaboration of my network. Can't wait to plan and execute our project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo,

    It was great to meet up with you in person and talk. Such a difference (and, must say it, more gratifying than online). Try to get to NCTE within the next few years...you'll love it.

    http://www.ncte.org/profdev/conv/annual/129817.htm

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such an exciting and gratifying experience.I am looking forward to catching up with you soon - at Earthly Pleasures? - and hearing about your experiences first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I was so glad to meet you! You are such a joy and delight and I can see why you accomplish so much. I hope you have a great trip back down under. You are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sylvia martinez3:54 am

    Nice to meet you too! Your study tour is such a good idea - hope the rest of your trip is fun and exciting. See you around, maybe even in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo-
    I too am glad we got a chance to connect! It is great to finally have real people to connect with their online presence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo,
    I am back online after 5 days off the grid. It was fabulous to meet you and hug you! You are right, the support and online group at edtechtalk is amazing. I too, feel that online support is as valuable as face to face support. Once you experience an online friendship it is so easy to continue conversations f2f that I often question whether I had truly never met the person. So glad to have met you f2f and the conversations continue.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame we only got to chat for a few minutes. NECC needs to be another week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo -

    I've been meaning to write and say how much I enjoyed meeting you and the rest of the Aussies. I loved the whole idea behind your trip, and was secretly jealous of your trips to Google/Apple/Oracle. :) I think it's amazing how we have connected online and face to face!

    Keep in touch,

    Lucy Gray

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm jealous! Glad it all went well for all of you. Looking forward to catching up one day.

    ReplyDelete