Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's finally here


It was bound to come, no matter how far away it seemed and high the mountain I still had to cross was. And now it's here. Leaving tomorrow with a group of thirty Australian teachers to see some schools, visit Google HQ and Apple and attend NECC. That means my 4000 word essay for my Masters has been completed, the mountain of marking has been scaled, the reports have been written. No more than what any other teacher and learner for life has to do. But for some reason it's taken a lot out of me this term. I am looking forward to my time away to do some reflection and to re-evaluate my working life. To put transformative education first, and to inspire students with the creative possibilites that I see unfolding around me in my personal learning network. I am looking forward to NECC because I feel that there is so much to learn and that I will renew my inspiration, enabling me to go on doing what we all do every day. I feel that often I simply just touch the surface of what possibilities are out there. It would be better for me and for my students if I chose one thing to do and to do it well. Having just finished my reports for students I really enjoyed reading this great post by Dina, a 7th grade English teacher about report cards for teachers - our own report on ourselves. I will be reflecting on this term in the holidays, writing my own report card, and I know there are a number of things I will try to change. One is, I really HAVE to get more organised!

If you are feeling that you would love to stay on top of what is coming out of NECC this year even though you can't be there, have a look at this blog post by Vicki Davis. She is writing about following the rss feeds of interesting things being written from NECC and as she said, the first year she went she wasn't even there but was following all that went on remotely. I am so looking forward to waking up tomorrow and finding myself on holiday, but the best kind of holiday - no housework and lots of education, lots of technology and lots of talk. Who cares about sleep? I'm sure Sue Tapp will tell you when we get back. After all, she has to share a room with me!

Finally I have enjoyed making my wordle and seeing those of others. Digital Maverick Drew Buddie shared his wordle (love his words such as "amazing", "cool" and "fun") and has an idea that we could be writing shape poetry with it or something like it! Looks awesome.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,
    I feel a lot like you do - so much to do and so little time. I hope NECC allows you to clear your head and not muddy it - I'm sure it will be the former. Enjoy the wonderful experience ahead of you.
    Jenny Luca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jo, you've finally made it. Your mountain was a bit higher than mine - your 4000 Masters essay must have put a lot of extra pressure on you. so, enjoy the break from mundane problems and relish the fresh challenges of your very exciting and demanding "holiday".
    Pam Arvo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo - Have an excellent trip. I'm so excited for you all and look forward to reading about everyone's journey especially the people you meet. Live it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To decide which online business degree is right for you, it is best to decide what your career goals are or what your current job calls for. For instance, if you want to start your own small business, then a degree in marketing may be your best bet. But, if you are currently a manager at your place of business then leadership degree may get you the skills you need to get a promotion and a raise in your current career. Online Education College Degree http://online-high-school-home-education.blogspot.com .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so excited about seeing you at NECC! I'm so excited! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be great to meet up again at Jo, in another country - yay bring on NECC I'll be in San Antonio on Saturday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To decide which online business degree is right for you, it is best to decide what your career goals are or what your current job calls for. For instance, if you want to start your own small business, then a degree in marketing may be your best bet. But, if you are currently a manager at your place of business then leadership degree may get you the skills you need to get a promotion and a raise in your current career. Online Education College Degree http://online-high-school-home-education.blogspot.com .

    ReplyDelete