Sunday, January 06, 2008

Welcome new voices

Because it’s holidays and because the weather is so summery and gardening is an attractive option after it has been neglected all year, I haven’t blogged as much as I wanted to. And just now I have come back from a lovely lazy Sunday lunch to find twitter exploding. And it is exploring a theme close to my heart – being open to hearing the voices of new bloggers and the edubloggers who are coming up with new creative and original points of view about what is needed in education. Last week I was a guest on Women of Web 2.0 and we had a discussion which included thoughts on why we want to invite others to the edublogosphere and how we can encourage them when they do. It is all about conversation and all about learning.

From what I can understand Judy O’Connell, Alec Couros, Stephanie Sandifer and Russel Mongomery and many others connected by Twitter wanted to set up a space where lesser known blogs can become visible and included in the wider conversation. There is no doubt that Twitter is helping with this and so there has been a new wiki "Discover New Voices " started. and a del.icio.us tag "edutwittersphere" for your twitter page and "discoverourvoices" for your blog. There is also a wiki set up by Stephanie Sandifer called Welcoming Beginners and a backchannel here. Is all of this overkill? Maybe it is and maybe not. It is an explosion of creativity and community and not all of it will continue. But the efforts and thinking that are going into this is an example of the true meaning of collaboration - doing together something that cannot be done alone. The whole is more than the sum of the parts,



, , , ,

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo!

    As much as I would love to take credit for the wiki page, I can not. I found that page (which already existed) when I did a quick search for an appropriate space to do some brainstorming on one of the existing wikis.

    Alex Couros created the other wiki this evening for the brainstorming of "how" to discover and include new voices.

    However, I do think the Welcoming Beginners wiki is a very nice resource for those of us who enjoy finding and welcoming new voices to the edublogosphere!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo

    Nice idea. I have tagged my blog and twitter page accordingly on del.icio.us and I shall cross post as well.
    Cheers
    John
    http://blog.larkin.net.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo,
    http://www.techlearning.com/blog/2008/01/what_a_difference_a_day_makes.php
    This is where I posted a similarly themed post about collaborating with new bloggers when I post at TechLearning.com/blog , two times a month. I will feature a new blogger each time. I will also post about these efforts in that public space.
    My New Year's Resolution is to collaborate with as many commenters to this blog as possible. When you comment, please leave your blog/web address and I will share it with others. This is how you can continue the conversation. Don't be shy, make your resolution to Collaborate in 2008. Collaborate in 2008 is my tag that I will continue to use on my blog post, I will add your tags as well.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I'm a new blogger at http://googtweetblog.edublogs.org and twitter has proved to be the most excellent avenue of communication for bloggers.....glad I'm not the only new girl out there!

    ReplyDelete