Thursday, September 06, 2007

MySpace used in assessment

One of my Year 9 students has completed her assignment early on a novel she chose to read for the Independent Novel assignment. There were four parts to the assignment: some sections on the plot, the characters and themes of the novel. The final part of the assignment was to create either three MySpace pages for three of the characters or three business cards. This student created the MySpace pages on the novel For Maritsa with Love by UK author Enid Richemont. From a review of the novel: "An unusual and powerful novel that explores the dark underside of Paris’ beautiful fa├žade; a moving and engrossing work about vulnerability and hope." I know others have chosen the MySpace option too, even though they have to do it at home as the site is blocked at my school. It was a bit of an experiment but I am very pleased with the results. The student chose a photo, a layout, friends, a song, an about me section, who I'd like to meet, comments from the friends, and interests. In order to do this well for the three characters, Rose, Maritsa and Paul, there has to be some engagement with the novel and some understanding character, plot and themes. I was pleased with this piece of work - I have yet to look at it with the rubrics to hans - and I think that when she has to write analytically about the novel in the exam (one of the choices students have) her understanding will be reflected in that form as well. No doubt I'll find out.

8 comments:

  1. Well, that's certainly a creative and educational use of MySpace!

    (and I bet she loved doing it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo this is fabbo. how do you get to use myspace at school? It is blocked for us. maybe facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, MySpace is also blocked at our school. But I gave the students a choice (they didn't have to do this) but if they did it, it would have to be at home. Teachers can access myspace so I am able to assess it on line. But if I couldn't I would still assess it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this activity and will share it with my grad students. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gang!

    I found Myspace to be a very popular way to get some creative writing from my senior English students. They chose a character from Hamlet, created a page and wrote about 1000 words in blog entries.

    Uniquely, most of them got it done ahead of deadline!

    Some great responses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leave this aside even MNC's to doesn't likes to accessify it to the employees....my firm-web design company too have blockes it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't agree with you saying you hope other people get on my space. I think that way becase you never know you is on that site.

    ReplyDelete