Thursday, August 30, 2007

Live to learn, learn to blog

Just back from the “Live to learn, learn to blog” conference where I met with lots of blogging friends such as James, Graham, Warrick, Sue, Helen and others. I t gave me some sort of hint of what Edubloggercon may feel like. It was fantastic to talk about blogging with others who are interested for about two whole hours. In my two sessions I showed the Did you know 2.0 video by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod – this made one participant feel tired. I used these two presentations Blogging as Reflective Practice and Blogging with students as a basis, but often meandered off following participants’ questions and comments. My aim in the workshops was to show how blogging can help students grow in their learning, be more engaged, make connections with others and have a place to publish their thoughts and creative endeavours. Some surprise and questioning happened at my openness with having students post directly to the internet without moderation and trusting students to moderate their own comments. I haven’t yet been too disappointed and I know that learning and blogging are both a process rather than a finished product. And for good measure here is Graham's slide show on Blogging for Professional Learning.

6 comments:

  1. Somehow I just knew you would have left a post already. it was great to see all these cyber people in real life. I was just disappointed I had people who wanted to attend my session because I wanted to go to everyone else's. Congrats to VITTA, it was a really good event. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,
    Thank you for directing me to this post.

    I keep coming back to slide 14 in Blogging for Reflective Practice. It is interesting when you point out that some people reflect better in other ways. As much as we are passionate about the tools, they are most effective when there is a real need for them. Comparing different ways of reflecting might lead us to identify what makes reflection in blogs different. Better still, what value we can find there and not in other ways.

    From this awareness, from the limitations as well as the potential, we could approach the introduction of blogs in the classroom from other angles.

    Thank you for triggering off my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the session Jo; we'll have to try to connect up next year somehow with the 'Conflict' context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i learn something new here...
    good info

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo, this stuff looks great. I'm thinking of following up with Blogging with Students as some of my students are working on very innovative presentations - they inspire me! And definitely I'll be engaging in some Blogging for Reflective Practice in the wake of this approach. Thanks for your succinct advice today - I followed it and had instant success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your post (and particularly your slides) to be very relevant to the emphasis being placed on reflection in my program. Blogging is something I have done for years on a personal level and am now realizing I can apply to my developing professional practice. I've linked to your article in my first blog post. It's great to know that this is a something that other people believe as well!

    ReplyDelete