Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Wow: I'll be on a WOW 2.0 webcast

I’m so excited about the WOW 2.0 live webcast tomorrow. I’m being interviewed by Vicki, Cheryl, Sharon and Jen with three other educators Judy O’Connell, Graham Wegner and Jason Hando. It’s called "Over the Top Down Under" and I think that Graham has a bit to say about the inclusion of non-dominant voices in the conversation.

Just chatting to Graham on Skype now about the reaction to his post on “the Olympics effect”. He pointed me to the Tim Holt post on who’s coming to the banquet? In Australia, if I didn’t have the international community of support I would feel a bit out of it and very alone. It is hard to get support for web 2.0 tools in my local area, whether it is due to perceived lack of time, or fear of change. And as far as that’s concerned Will Richardson has an interesting post with lots of reaction when he came back from some "down time".

At school, the efforts to integrate technology into the educational experiences for reasons of efficiency or engagement (different reasons for different stakeholders) are being taken up very slowly, and a glitch in our email server is making it difficult to introduce new teachers to blogging as it is not very easy at the moment (but well worth the effort it takes in my opinion). The kind of conversation that is going on these days in the edublogosphere has not changed or moved forward very much in the nearly two years that I have been blogging, except now there are more tools than ever. There are even more ways to get connected, and blogs are starting to become a bit passé among the students (who would rather be on Myspace.) I too have been spending more time on Twitter and Facebook recently and less time reading blogs. But the discipline of regular writing, and the reflection that comes with planning and crafting a longer post is still very important. For me it is the combination of reflection and community that makes blogging such a worthwhile activity and why I plan to incorporate the method into to my teaching in different ways. As a head of English (we are called Domain Leaders at my school) I do have some say in how the curriculum is drafted and I did ensure that blogs were in there in the English curriculum. But very few teachers are using them. One teacher started just before the end of term and I was so excited to see that. I do try to encourage others to dip their toes into this community which I am finding so supportive, but it’s still seen as work by so many and an intrusion into their leisure time. I recently found that I was 80% addicted to blogging here and maybe that what it is. My addiction.

1 comment:

  1. A small group of teachers in my district have just begun blogging and I know what you mean about the challenges of trying to use these 21st Century tools in our classroom. You may feel alone where you are - but we appreciate the encouragement as we dip our toes into the blogging pool for the first time here.

    ReplyDelete