Friday, July 13, 2007

Baby steps

Just a quick post tonight about some of the things I have been thinking about. Some of it comes from Ben Wilkoff’s passion for bringing about change in schools, some from the inspiration of NECC and the influence of the women of WOW 2.0 and meeting online friends face to face, but I am thinking about not waiting for others to follow where I am going and waiting for others to make changes happen, but quietly offering more specific help to individuals (whether teachers or students) when they need it. I felt slightly impatient when one teacher wanted a paper handout on blogging, thinking they could easily find out online, as in “learning by doing”. But I have to start where they are at and paper is where they are at right now. I am very glad that this teacher has wanted to know and reached out in asking for this. So I know there are lots of good resources out there that I will distill into a one or two page handout. Another thing is the idea of convening a special interest group at school once a month to have hands on sessions where we talk about how to make what Ben calls “The Ripe Environment”. Luckily there is a spot in our hectic after school meeting schedule once a month that is designated Special Interests and I think I know just how to use that spot. And last but not least is the idea of collaborating with another school to create a wiki that includes videos, podcasts and other forms of multimedia to express students’ ideas and learning about writing/communicating and presenting their views on topics of interest to them.

4 comments:

  1. Joy --

    I like your "special interest group" idea -- I've been thinking along the same lines (although the terminology that I've used is Critical Friends Group).

    Here's another thought that I had related to this -- what if the SIG or CFG isn't just teachers? What if the SIG or CFG includes students too?

    Sort of like a Web 2.0 SIG or "club" for students and adults -- where everyone is on an equal level (all learners exploring new technologies together). Students and teachers can take turns presenting on topics of interest, and anyone in the group can be a leader in any topic at anytime.

    Just some food for thought!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I'm new to your blog but can see that I'll find it very useful and entertaining (a potent mix). I'm a Teacher/Librarian, not an IT, but staff members frequently ask me how to do or obtain something (once I make them aware of its existence!). Since I'm a fairly new cyber citizen myself, I understand their insecurities, though I wish they were a little more open to exploring.
    My idea of a perfect PD day - held at least once a month - would be a block of time when I could "play" with some of the techtools I've only been able to tag for later examination. A nearby tech guru would be a plus, but with limited availability, lest I turn lazy.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo ,
    This is a perfect post! I agree that a one day a month meeting is more sustainable than attending a workshop one time a year. Hm, maybe we could have a 24 hour around the world meeting about tech tools in our local schools, record it and share with the world. That would be incredible!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for building upon my ideas about The Ripe Environment. I think that you have framed it really well in terms of translating a web 2.0 experience into a web 0.2 user. I think the idea of creating offline communities that will transition us to an online community could be a great way of creating The Ripe Environment. I would like to explore this further. Drop me a line at benwilkoff@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete