Thursday, May 10, 2007

Alphabet graffiti

I have just been using one of the ideas that I heard about in Lessons plans by the Yarra. We have been studying Macbeth and though it was an interrupted session due to injections we managed to enact the murder of King Duncan (as I did last year) and Alphabet Graffiti.

It was great to hear the students around the room saying, “What did you get for q? “What about ambition for A?”, having students both ask and answer the questions of each other. To produce a useful list for revision was a really collaborative effort and I loved using it. It might have helped that we were in the computer room and could perform a search of the play script online.

This activity both surfaced knowledge the students already had and created new knowledge for the students. A worthwhile activity on many counts. Thanks to Graham and his colleagues. (I just heard one say, "Use 'yearn'," and the response: “how do you spell that?”) Most of the students are now back from the injections and we will now continue to read the play.

3 comments:

  1. Annabel10:30 pm

    Hi Jo

    Annabel from Adelaide here! It was great to meet you the other night in Melbourne. I enjoyed swapping lesson ideas on the Yarra. We will have to try lesson planning on the Torrens when you visit us in Adelaide.

    I also used the ABC Graffiti in my class today. I based the activity around the novel The Giver by Lois Lowry. My year 6/7 class had a similar reaction to your class.
    They were interested to see what other pairs had got for different letters of the alphabet. We were a little stuck on x, y and z but I said we would re-visit the activity at the end of the book. Creativity might be the key for these letters.

    I have really enjoyed reading through some on your blog entries and will keep on eye on it in the future. I wont just lurk but i will leave a comment or two.

    Happy blogging!
    Annabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I could see using it and maybe a wiki to gather all the different ideas. Thanks, Jo!ge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here in the US and have never heard of alphabet grafitti. I gotta look this up!

    ReplyDelete