“A Quebec teacher is on stress leave after a video of him shouting at students was posted on youtube. The article says that: "the incident took place a month ago, when one student provoked the teacher into yelling at her while a classmate secretly taped the confrontation." (November 2006)”show that the existence of new technologies does have implications for teachers in the classroom. As teachers what should be our response?
Some of Vicki’s suggestions include:
- Update Acceptable Use Policies in schools
- Understand that new school hours are 24/7.
- Understand the importance of technology education including ethics
- Understand that blocking doesn't protect your school from this issue
- Understand that information does not travel in straight lines.
On her blog about this issue Sharon Peters says:
“Together we have started a wiki to discuss these issues. If you are an educator, please help us out! We would like to know what your school is doing about its Acceptable Use Policy and if you have any suggestions for us.”I hope that lots of educators get involved in this.