Thursday, November 16, 2006

Groups, networks, or is it a club?

There's been a lot going on just lately (when hasn't there been?) At school we are writing curriculum for 2007, working out teaching loads, getting involved in staffing (the first time for me, and I'm on a steep learning curve), writing and supervising and marking exams for Year 11 (not to mention seeing the students who have done practice exams and want feedback, yay). Every day I want to write something about what's been going on but I hesitate. Ther's so much to respond to. I have loved listening to and viewing the K12 online conference. I haven't experienced them all yet, not by a long shot, but the ones I have have been way cool. I loved Mark Wagner's Two Way Teaching 'cos I found he referenced one of my students' writings and that was a great surprise. I really think that the conference has had a profound effect on the sense of community that edubloggers can join. And that reminds me so much of what I have been reading by Frank Smith especially The Book of Learning and Forgetting which I just love. In this text he posits that students (or anyone really) can learn effortlessly and painlessly when they have found a club that they want to belong to. He talks about the "literacy club" which is how most of us started reading, having stories read to us and wanting to be able to do it to be like those who could and because we enjoyed the stories. And getting better by doing, being helped by those who already can. The edublogging community is like that I think, like a club (is it ok to say that?) a group of people of varying levels of expertise who willingly show the ones who want to learn what they want to know. And then when we know we show others. It makes sense to me. Every night when I listen to the podcasts I've subscribed to I learn so much and get so inspired. I love Edtech Talk, Moving at the Speed of Creativity, Geek!ed, Connect Learning and many others. It is a club that I feel I have some part in, a welcoming club where I learn and I teach and feel a sense of belonging. The blogs, the webcasts, the del.icio.us networks are further ways of belonging to this club and there are doubtless many more ways as well that I haven't yet got my head around. But I'm looking forward to finding out.

2 comments:

  1. Jo;
    Blogging is an interesting world. I am learning so much. I was directed to your blog by a friend who feels there aren't enough women participating. I don't know about that.

    I am a former English teacher who has been running a tefhnology oriented Regional Service Center in the NYC/Metropolitan area for more than 60 school districts.

    If you get the time, I'd be privileged if you'd read a few of my recent posts. I am experimenting with the blogging format, trying not to do a journal or diary format; but a simple and brief piece, every few days.

    I am interested in bringing the heart and spirit into the conversation on how we transform our schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, and Jo, I really enjoyed these observations about sharing in the blogging community. I have been blogging for 6 months and am absolutely amazed at what I have learned, the people i have engaged with, the inspiration to my own thoughts and my own work. I think JO and all the others are a great inspiration. I referred to this in my recent post at http://heyjude.wordpres.com. And Jo's blog is one that has been in my blogroll for a long time. Jo welcomed me into the blogging world, and set some real high standards for me.

    ReplyDelete