Sunday, August 06, 2006

Creating a community of Learners

Even though I've read Will Richardson's book Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms at least once, I just picked it up again to dip into, and found this thoughtful idea which is probably obvious, but something I haven't yet done. He says: "...link to the best student posts and ideas in the class blog. This is a very important habit to form. When you celebrate good work or use students' unique ideas to drive further discussion, it goes a long way to creating a community of learners." I have an idea that I will be doing that with my two blogging classes, the Year Eight English class and the Reacreating the Writer class in the next posts on those blogs I write.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book twice this summer after I saw him at a conference. One of the parts that really struck home with me and painted a nice visual was that of Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants. This is a perfect way to describe the digital divide between the generations and what teachers need to do in order to prepare students for their futures in a global society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fair idea. Do you have any trouble with your students writing anything inappropriate? What element of control do you have over what they write and how they set out their blogs? I'm very keen to know, as I will be introducing blogging into my Year 7 class when we return in September.

    Feel free to email me if you like - chrisbest1980@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found Will Richardson's book to be very useful as well!!

    BrainBasedBloggin

    ReplyDelete