Sunday, July 16, 2006

Something new

I have decided to work part time next year after working full time for over a decade. And everybody knows working full time is really more than full time. I'm hoping to finsh writing my thesis in 2007 and so I will welcome the extra thinkling, reading and writing time. I love my time in the classroom a lot, but I have realised my limitations during this year when I have been trying to do too much. We will only have one child at school (after a time having five children being educated) so if I can't afford to go part time now I never will. And it's in a good cause too. Imagine how much extra time I'll be able to give to blogging! And even though it's hard, I'm still enjoying second semester.
On another topic,
Arvind and Alex have set up a learning community coming out of the Worldbridges community using Elgg called
Educationbriges Teachers collaborating with Teachers which looks like it's got potential. There are a lot of communities springing up now in the edublogosphere which goes to show how social we all are, I think.
And finally I really loved
this interview with Etienne Wenger on Communities of Practice which I found over at Headspace. I can't get over how much there is to learn.

4 comments:

  1. All the best with your new direction. Time....it really is the most valuable thing we have isn't it? I look forward to reading more from you next year.
    Thanks for the podcast info too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going part time would be an interesting life change. I'm sure it will allow you the time to explore those other areas of interest you're keen to get your teeth into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the thesis and with part time work and with all those other things that will undoubtedly pop up! I look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo,

    Congrats on the change -- and thanks for publicizing our site. We hope to be starting slow over the next few weeks and really kicking in in the fall. The purpose, helping teachers collaborate with teachers on various topics!

    Cheers,

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete