Monday, July 31, 2006

The Power and Opportunity of Social Networking

Got up this morning and logged into my Bloglines (how I love RSS). I found two fantastic posts from Jo Kay and Vicki Davis. Jo Kay writes about her blog and what tools she has on it and why. Vicki Davis speaks about the fallout of the Deleting Online Predators Act (DOPA) which would legislate to ban commercial social networking sites in schools in the US. What blew me away about both of these is their highlighting of the power of social networking, the response of society to this new era in communication and its implications for learning and schools. Read them.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bringing this important issue to your readers! Social networking has great potential and I've already seen it in my classroom.

    I am saddened to see filtering as the only response that our government seems to be taken as that only serves as a shield in some places, leaving kids very vulnerable and unsupervised elsewhere.

    Thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete