Wednesday, February 22, 2006

INTERNATIONAL EDUBLOGGING WOMEN'S' DAY 2006

From Josie Fraser a contribution to the development of something (a party?! I'm in) around International Women's Day to raise the profile of women edubloggers and ensure that the fantastic work going on out there is recognised. Josie says:
Many countries celebrate International Women's Day on March 8th. This year, we'd like to encourage the whole edublogging community to celebrate the women edubloggers in their lives - friends, mothers, sisters, daughters, online colleagues and co-workers. Please join in the party on this special day with at least one post about women who edublog. It might be a profile, interview, overview of their blog - or just a round up link-fest of all your favourite women edubloggers. So if you have benefited from the contribution of women who blog in, around or about education (and let's face it - who hasn't?), please take part in the women edubloggers blog extravaganza!
What a great idea.

My profile is of Bronwyn. I first met Bronwyn on Clarence Fisher's blog in Canada. I followed some of her work and found her commenting on students' blogs all over the world. She is an appreciative audience for these student writers and encourages them to think and to clarify their posts. My Year Eight bloggers just set up their blogs and made one post each, then they went off for a week of other activities. Bronwyn has commented on all of their blogs. One parent of a student valued what Bronwyn said about her child's writing and got in touch with Bronwyn. I am very impressed with the impact of blogging, commenting and the power of an audience. I can't wait for my students to come back and see what happens next. Good on you both, Bronwyn and Josie.

2 comments:

  1. Delurking to agree!... What a GR8 idea!!

    Thanks for writing about this, Jo.

    I'll be sure to post an International Women's Day post on my own blog before 6 March.

    Now, I'm going to follow Bronwyn's good example and go visit some of your student's blogs.

    The collaborative aspect of the learning that's happening online is so exciting - teachers and students from around the world connecting and contributing to each other's learning cycles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A math teacher posted on one of my student blogs. It energized the whole class. The students were so very excited.

    It sparked a discussion of web 2.0 (again) and they are starting to "get it" and get excited.

    I am also very excited about a Riddles wiki that some of my students have created. They have truly collaborated and become very excited about the technology.

    This is a very exciting time in technology. What if every blogger posted at least two comments a day on other blogs?

    ReplyDelete